03 Nov How was the Revelation conveyed to the Prophet?
The Revelation was delivered to Prophet Muhammad in the following ways:
The commencement of Revelation to the Prophet took the form of reliable dreams ( ru’ya al-sadiqa).
Whatever he dreamed happened the following day, in exactly the same way that he had dreamed.
- Coming in the form of a human being, Archangel Gabriel conveyed the Revelation to the Prophet.
- Archangel Gabriel approached the Prophet in his own angelic form and thus delivered the Revelation to him.
It was reported that such Revelation happened only two times;
- first, during the first stage of the Revelation and
- second, in the cave of Hira, following a period of temporary cessation of Revelation.
- Without appearing to the Prophet, the angel put the Revelation straight into the Prophet’s heart when he was awake.
- Archangel Gabriel conveyed the Revelation to the Prophet during his sleep.
- Sometimes, the Qur’an was revealed like the ringing of a bell.
This form of Revelation was most severe for the Prophet. When this state of Revelation passed the Prophet had memorized what had been revealed.
- Delivery of the Revelation to the Prophet when he was awake, directly by God Almighty Himself.
It was reported that such Revelation was delivered to the Prophet during the Mi’raj – the Prophet’s night journey from Mecca to Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem and his ascension from there to Heaven.