13 Oct Learning how to Pray Part 1
The following is the complete method of performing a 2 Raka’at Salah. Read the “Note” at the end to know how to pray a 3 or 4 Raka’a Salah.
1) Stand upright facing the Qibla
2) Make the intention “I intend to perform the Fajr prayer (say the name of the Salah), with 2 Rakaat Fardh (say the number of Rakaats of any prayer – Sunnah or Fardh), for the sake of Allah, I am facing the Holy Kaaba.” Intention need not be said out loud. Saying it in the heart is sufficient.
3) Raise hands to the shoulders with palms facing the Qibla say “Allahu Akbar”. The hands should be within the cloth sheet. They should not be brought out.
4) Do the Qiyam by lowering the hands down and folding them on the chest. This is done by placing the right palm on the back of the left palm.
5) Read the sanaa:
“Subhanak-Allah humma wabi hamdika watabara-kasmuka wata aala jadduka walaa ilaha ghairuk”
(All Glory be to You O Allah! Praise is to You; Blessed is Your Name and Exalted is Your Majesty; there is none worthy of worship except You)
6) Read the Ta’awuz:
“Aoozu billahi minash Shaitaanir-rajeem”
(I seek protection with Allah from the cursed Shaitan)
7) Read the Tasmiyyah:
(In the Name of Allah, Most Kind, Most Merciful)
8) Recite Surah Fatiha:
“Al-hamdu lillahi rabbil-aalameen, ar-rahma nir-raheem, maaliki yawmiddeen, iyyaaka na’budu wa iyyaaka nastaeen, ihdinas-siraatal mustaqeem, siraatallazeena anamta alaihim, ghairil maghdoobi alahim wa ladhaaleen. Ameen.”
[All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of the Universe, the Most Kind, Most Merciful, Master of the Day of Judgement. You alone we worship and from You alone we ask for help. Guide us on the straight path, the path of those who You have favoured, not the path of those who earned Your anger, nor the path of those who went astray. Ameen (So let it be O Allah)].
9) Recite any Surah or verses from the Qur’an. For example:
“Qul huwallahu ahad, Allahus-samad, lam yalid, wa lam yoolad, wa lam yakullahu kufuwan ahad”
(Say, He is Allah, The One. Allah is above and all things depend on Allah. He does not beget, nor is He begotten. And there is none like Him).
10) Say “Allahu Akbar” and go into Ruku (bowing). (In ruku fingers of both hands should be together and placed on the knees. The arms should be well joined to the sides and the ankles of both the feet should be together. A woman should only bow to the extend that their hands reach the knees.
11) In Ruku recite the following 3 times:
Subhaana Rabbiyal ‘Azeem
(Glory be to my Lord, The Greatest)
12) Afterwards, stand up in Qawmah
position while reciting the Tasbeeh:
Sami Allahu liman hamidah
(Allah listens to him who has praised Him)
13) After Tasbeeh recite Tahmeed:
Rabbana Lakal Hamd
(O our Sustainer! All prayer is due to You alone)
14) Then say “Allahu Akbar” and go into Sajdah. First the knees should touch the ground, thereafter the hands should be placed in line with the ears and the fingers should be close together. Then place head in between both the hands. Both the forehead and the nose should touch the ground. The fingers and toes should face the qibla but the feet should not be upright (Women are not required to place both feet standing on toes). They should be taken out towards the right side. The woman should draw herself closely together and press herself firmly while in Sajdah. The stomach should be joined to both the thighs, the arms should be joined to the sides and both arms should be placed on the ground.
15) In Sajdah recite 3 times:
Subhaana Rabbiyal a’ala
(Glory to my Lord Most High)
16) Afterwards sit upright while saying “Allahu Akbar”.
17) Do the Sajdah again while saying “Allahu Akbar” and in Sajdah recite “Subhaana Rabbiyal a’ala” 3 times.
18) Stand up erect while reciting “Allahu Akbar”. This position will be Qiyam (same as step #4).
19) Repeat steps #7 to #17.
Note: In step #9 recite some other Surah or verses. Then after #17 go to step #20.
20) After the second Sajdah, go into Jalsah while saying “Allahu Akbar”. The woman should sit on her left buttock and take out both her feet towards the right side. Both her hands should be on the thighs and fingers joined together.
21) While seated recite Tashahhud:
Attahiyyaatu lillahi wass-salawaatu wath-thayyibaatu, assalamu alaika ayyuhannabiyyu wa rahamtullahi wa barakaatuhu, as-salaamu alainaa wa alaa ibaadilla hiss-saaliheen, ash-hadu al la ilaha illallahu wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadan abduhu wa rasooluh.
(All respect, worship and all glory is due to Allah alone. Peace be upon you, O Prophet, and the Mercy and Blessings of Allah be upon you. Peace be on us and on those who are the righteous servants of Allah. I testify that there is no one worthy of worship except Allah, and I testify that Muhammad is His Servant and Messenger).
In this when reciting the word “la ilaha”, join the little finger and the ring finger and form a ring with the thumb and middle finger and raise the index finger towards the sky. Lower the index finger when you reach “illallahu”.
22) Then recite Blessings on the Prophet Muhammad (saw):
Allahumma salli alaa Muhammadin wa alaa aali Muhammadin kamaa sallaita alaa Ibraheema wa alaa aali Ibraheema innaka hameedun majeed
“Allahumma baarik alaa Muhammadin wa alaa aali Muhammadin, kamaa baarakta alaa Ibraheema wa alaa aali Ibraheema innaka hameedun majeed”
(O Allah! Shower Your Blessings on Muhammad and the family of Muhammad just as You showered Your Blessings on Ibraheem and the family of Ibraheem. Certainly, You alone are worthy of praise and are Glorious.
O Allah! Bless Muhammad and the family of Muhammad just as You Blessed Ibraheem and the family of Ibraheem. Certainly, You alone are worthy of praise and are Glorious).
23) After this recite the following du’a:
“Allahumma Rabbana Atina fid-dunya hasanatan wafil- Akhirati hasanatan waqina athaban nar.”
“Oh Allah, our Lord, give us all the good of this world, and the good of the life hereafter, and save us from the punishment of the hell-fire.”
Rabbij-alnee muqeemas-salaati wa min zurriyyatee, rabbanaa wata qabbal duaa, rabbanagh-fir-lee wali waali dayya wa lil mu’mineena yawma yaqoomul hisaab
(O my Lord! Make my children and myself regular in Salah. O our Lord! Accept my prayer. O our Lord! Forgive me. Forgive my parents and all other Muslims on the Day of Judgement).
24) As the last step do Tasleem. Turn your head to the right and say “As salamu ‘alaykum wa rahmatullah” (May the Peace and Mercy of Allah be upon you).
Then turn your head to the left and say “As salamu ‘alaykum wa rahmatullah” (May the Peace and Mercy of Allah be upon you). Salam is to be said with the intention of making salam to the angels.
For 3 raka’at Salah
After step #21 recite “Allahu Akbar” while standing up back into Qiyam position (step #4). Then do steps #7 to #24.
Omit step #9 and #18 & #19
For 4 raka’at Salah
After step #21 recite “Allahu Akbar” while standing up back into Qiyam position (step #4). Then do steps #7 to #18. Omit step #9.
After step #18 follow instructions from step #19. Omit step #9.